Prompt means to trigger, encourage, stimulate, provoke, start off,
bring about....... In this instance the prompt is to get you
thinking of something to write about for an essay.
A topic is a subject, theme, issue, area, subject matter of what you
will write about based on the prompt.
It could be a person, a place, a thing, an idea, an issue, an
argument, an occurrence, almost anything can be a topic.
Here are examples of prompts and
possible topics that might result.
Write about a memorable experience from your
1. going fishing with my father
2. grammar school graduation
3. a fatal car crash while in the Bahamas.
Write about a place that makes\made you feel
1. my dentist's office
2. the courtroom in the municipal building in the center of
3. My grandmother's funeral
Write about a current issue that is hotly debated
1. illegal immigration
2. the War in Afghanistan
3. Unemployment insurance being paid for extended
Analyze the issue of professional entertainers or public
figures behavior that may influence young people.
1. Madonna's dress and behaves
2. Michael Jackson's parenting and dangerous public displays
3. Barack Obama's rise to power